Team Communication Strategies
What are the key goals for the team communication strategy?
Questions to consider before building your team communication strategy:
- How can the strategy support the team purpose and vision?
- How can it support us on our journey towards our performance goals?
- How can it stop us from becoming distracted from our key objectives?
- How can we use it to keep the team closely bonded together?
- What will be our biggest challenges?
- How can it contribute to maximising our effectiveness and efficiency?
How can it help the team perform to their best?
Some questions to consider:
- What must we continually communicate openly about to be successful?
- What must we avoid communicating about to be successful?
- What must we communicate about most frequently?
- How can we eliminate unnecessary communication?
- How can we maximise the quality of our communications?
- Which performance metrics must we focus our communications around?
- How can we ensure that we incorporate encouragement and appreciation?
- What can we do to minimise blame and criticism?
What is the team's preferred communication style?
It is important to understand the current communication style of the team leader in particular to determine if it fits well with the desired strategy.
- Is the style autocratic or democratic?
- Is it inclusive or exclusive?
- Is it open to challenge or not?
- Is it emotional or consistent?
- Is it supportive or judgmental?
- Is it half-full or half-empty?
Improving the communication skills of the team leader is often a pivotal step to maximising team performance as a skilled communicator is best positioned to lead thier team to success.
What will be the biggest obstacles to productive communications?
Consideration must also be given to:
- Management of conflicts
- Involving non-contributors
- Improving non-verbal communications
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Providing feedback
- Sharing the feelings behind the communication
- Ensuring no opinion is invalid
To return from Team Communication to Team Foundations follow this link
A FREE consultation is always available, so to discuss this issue further either:
- Call us on 0845 434 9589
- Or complete the form below